The Royal Abbey of Saint Nicolas de Septfontaines is located in Champagne-Ardenne and is nestled in the heart of Haute-Marne, a green and little known region that abounds with activities all a stone-through away from Septfontaines.
Feel free to ask the owners on your day of arrival, they will share some good addresses with you.
Discover regional products, small snapshots of French culture:
- The Artemis goat farm, a few kilometers from the abbey, will surprise you with delicious cheese;
- The champagne vintages of the very confidential "Côte des Bar", 60 km away: of rare quality, these champagnes are regularly awarded and recognized for their excellence;
- The tasty "Langres" cheese, from the eponymous city 60 km away;
- The Burgundy wine route, 160 km away.
For nature lovers & sport addicts:
- Many exciting hiking trails! Don't miss the
path just in front of the Abbey that will lead you to the multi-millennial Neolithic
site of Fort Bévaux in 15 minutes. Also explore the Rognon Valley, only 6 km
away; and beautiful cycling paths!
- A cyclo-rail circuit 10 minutes from the abbey: perfect to discover the surroundings by bike with a picnic in the bag;
- Very beautiful trout fishing sites;
- Lake Der, 70 km away, to sunbathe or rent a small sailing boat for the day.
For those who like strolling in small towns:
- Chaumont, 20 km away: discover the impressive viaduct and the renowned poster and graphic design museum;
- Bar-sur-Aube, a charming city that was at the heart of champagne fairs in the Middle Age, 50 km away;
- Langres, 60 km away: superb fortifications, beautiful walks and magnificent Renaissance facades, it is also Diderot's birthplace, the inventor of printing press;
- Dijon, 130 km away: the Dukes of Burgundy's capital, perfect getaway for the day.
For local handicraft enthusiasts:
- One of the wickerwork reference villages in France: Fayl-Billot, 70 km away;
- The famous Nogent cutlery manufacture, 30 km away;
- The last haute-couture flower workshop in France, 35 km away.
For history lovers:
- The village of Vignory, its castle and medieval-inspired garden, 20 km away;
- Joinville Castle, 35 km away;
- The castle of Cirey-sur-Blaise, Voltaire's place of residence, 35 km away;
- The Charles de Gaulle Memorial in Colombey-les-Deux-Eglises, 35 km away;
- Joan of Arc's native village, Domrémy-la-Pucelle, 45 km away;
- The beautiful Abbey of Clairvaux, open to visitors, 50 km away.
For a relaxing spa week-end or to enjoy with the kids:
- The thermal baths of Bourbonne-les-Bains, Vittel or Contrexéville, about 60 km away;
- The Nigloland theme park, a nice balance between attractions and nature for the whole family, 60 km away.